9.06.2011

Great history read-aloud!

I've been reading aloud two to three chapters a day from If You Were There in 1776 by Barbara Brenner.  So far, we have enjoyed learning what they ate, how they dressed and how the children played.  We also read about the farmers and planters and the differences between the northern and southern colonies.  Today, we read about some of the larger cities and how they were similar and different.

The writing style is very fluid, conversational and enjoyable.  It also includes several direct quotes and primary source references.  At times, it's quite humorous.  Her style reminds me quite a bit of Joy Hakim's.  There is also a prequel, If You Were There in 1492: Everyday Life in the Time of Columbus.

1 comment:

♥Katie said...

I think I've read that before, when I was younger...