8.30.2011

Back to School

So, we started school again yesterday.  Phew!  What a year this is going to be.  I think it is taking so much more time because I added in new programs (including Latin for Children and IEW -- Student Writing Intensive).

So far, the Latin program is leaving me dazed and confused.  It just seems like so much is thrown into the first chapter.

The boys adore Andrew Pudewa.  Seriously, they would ditch me in a heartbeat in favor of him as their teacher. He IS refreshingly humorous and empathetic.

We are continuing with the following since they work:
  • Saxon Math (using the older textbooks)
  • Rod and Staff English (omitting the writing exercises)
  • Daily Grams (I love this program!)
  • Megawords for Spelling (I love this approach!)



Currently, we are using A Child's Introduction to Poetry: Listen While You Learn About the Magic Words That Have Moved Mountains, Won Battles, and Made Us Laugh and Cry twice a week for poetry study.  We've always enjoyed reading poetry in our previous years -- just reading from various anthologies.

We have also begun our Impressionism art study with an introduction.  I cannot recommend The Impressionists (Usborne Young Reading: Series Three) enough.  We spent two days reading it, and I think it does a fabulous job of introducing the key players along with painting a picture of the world in which these artists lived and the extent of their interaction. 

For science, we are working through Exploring Creation With Botany (Young Explorers) while adding in some living books and lapbook.

We will finish The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child, Volume 3: Early Modern Times starting with a brief overview of Colonial America and then diving in the the American Revolution.

This week, we have read the following two books.  Though the illustrations are merely black and white, the text exceeded my expectations.


1 comment:

slowpoke said...

Every time I read about homeschooling mamas I salivate over how much the moms must learn by delving into all these subjects and the curriculum! I would LOVE to be learning all that you're doing with your boys! It's got to take a lot of self-discipline and work to do school on top of running your household and feeding your men (plus bookkeeping). Serious kudos to you, Dawn. I hope the Latin will become more clear. I wish I knew what to recommend! Btw, your scrapbook pages are lovely little works of art! A well-documented life. :)