2.16.2011

Sea Clocks: The Story of Longitude (Book Review)


We read Sea Clocks: The Story of Longitude by Louise Borden yesterday.  It is simply a must-read for science and history.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, Longitude, so I looked forward to reading this book to the boys.  I would like to caution you that there is a scene during a party of full front female nudity, so you may want to preview it.  


I thought the book was just perfect for their ages -- 9 and 11.  I really enjoyed reading it aloud, and I have to admit that I got teary at the end (like I do when concluding most biographies).  I am always just in awe of persevering, intelligent, passionate people.


There is a longish picture book on the same subject that I checked out from the library -- The Man Who Made Time Travel (Orbis Pictus Honor for Outstanding Nonfiction for Children (Awards)) -- but I found the Sea Clocks book to be so fabulous that I couldn't imagine needing it.  The illustrations are lovely, and just thumbing through the book I can see it offers some facts omitted from the book we read, but I think we are ready to move on.  :)

No comments: