10.09.2010

I've been tagged!

A fellow homeschooler from http://followthetumbleweedroad.blogspot.com/ tagged me, so it looks like I'm now "it."  I am to answer her questions, and then pass along my own set of questions to four bloggers.

Here are my questions:


1. What is the biggest reason you homeschool your children?

Though I know there are some opportunities our boys miss out on by homeschooling, I believe it is far better for their development -- emotionally, socially and spiritually.  I also believe I can provide a far better education than traditional schools.  Though I cannot teach better than anyone they might have in a traditional school setting, I am certain our boys spend more time actually learning, and I believe I am able to foster a love of learning better than that which they would receive in a traditional school.  They also receive far more accountability.

They spend much less time in school which allows for more play time -- more time to explore their own interests.  For example, it usually takes about five minutes to teach a new math concept.  And, I know if they get it or not.

We are studying so many things I never remember studying in elementary school -- Japan, Rembrandt, Vivaldi, extrusive vs intrusive igneous rocks, Latin and Greek roots.

I would have to say, though, that after eleven years of homeschooling, the biggest reason I do it is -- I love it.  I love the planning, the choosing, the buying, and most importantly the learning with them.  I am getting a fabulous education right along with our boys.  I am doing exactly what I want to do.  And, I am confident that it is the best -- even when I'm not having the best of days.


2. What is your favorite curriculum or homeschooling book?

This is hard.  I have always been a hodge-podge homeschooler -- a little of this and a little of that.  I love compiling my own resources.  I would say I have been most consistent with Saxon as our math program, and I recommend Daily Grams to every homeschooler I meet.  Aside from that, I say -- READ!  Read all sorts of books -- nonfiction, fiction, biographies, picture books, chapter books.  Keep reading long after they are able to read to themselves.  Look at the art work in picture books.  Guess what medium the artist used.  Talk about it.


3. What is your favorite children's book(s)?

I adore picture books, especially by Beatrix Potter, Leo Lionni, and Bill Peet.  I really like children's books with great art work.  Collage and other paper arts is one of my favorite art styles in books.  The Treasure by Uri Shulevitz is one of my favorites.  The Bridge to Terabithia is one of my favorite chapter books.  I remember really enjoying the following that I read to the boys: Mountain Born, Rabbit Hill, The Tough Winter.  A Day No Pigs Would Die was fabulous as well as Streams to the River, River to the Sea.


4. What is your best homeschooling tip?

I think this all depends on your priorities and the way you function best.  Being a neat-freak, I have to have my house tidied every night and ready for the next day.  Starting out fresh helps me so much.  I try to have things photocopied and supplies pulled the night before.  I also think planning as much as you can during the summer helps (if you take summers off).

Aside from this, I think school is best when it is made interesting.  That's one of the reasons I like pulling from so many resources.  I like the variety, and I am sure the boys appreciate it.


5. How many blogs do you read every week? What attracts you to certain blogs?

Ouch.  I don't spend too much time reading blogs.  I am not the kind of person who wants to read a lot of personal information about you unless I have a relationship with you (in either internet or real life).  I go to blogs for inspiration in homeschooling and scrapbooking/stamping.  I love seeing photos too.  I guess this is the reason I blog the way I do.

I will choose four bloggers to tag tomorrow.

2 comments:

Sydni said...

Thanks Dawn for participating. I enjoyed reading your answers. I share your love for books, and I too need to have my house tidied up at night before the next day. If my house is messy, or if I am disorganized, I can't function!

By the way, my second born dd loves your blog because she is an avid card maker! I showed her your blog a few years ago after finding you on the WTM boards. She goes to you when she needs ideas and inspiration. :)

Mom in High Heels said...

Excellent answers! I love reading about other hsers!