8.31.2010

Day 2 Down -- I am tired!

For more detail about what we're using each day, please see this post.

I thought I would give you an idea of how our first two days have been structured.  We start with subjects both boys have in common, and we begin at 10:00 am.

1.  They work through a logic worksheet.  They have found these to be fun.  This takes about 5-10 minutes.

2. They complete a mapping exercise.  These have also been enjoyable and take 5-10 minutes.

3. They then complete a page from Daily Grams which takes about 5 minutes. Every day includes an exercise in combining two or more sentences into one.  This portion counts as writing too.

4. We proceed to spelling which has also gone quickly.  I am using a new program this year which I think we will all like (Megawords).  If you are new to the program, you are supposed to start with book 1, so they have been able to do spelling together.  This takes about 5-10 minutes per page.

5. Next is writing.  The first day, they worked on combing sentences in better ways than just connecting with "and."  Today, I read an Aesop fable and dictated the moral which they in turn wrote down.  This takes about 10-15 minutes.

6. I then pass out their individual cursive handwriting books.  Ben is learning Getty-Dubay Italic cursive while Nathan preferred to stick with a more flourishy one -- Zaner-Bloser.  Though they work on their books at the same time, I alternate between them making sure they are forming their letters correctly.  This takes about 5 minutes.

For each of these, they check their own answers by sharing aloud what they chose.  I am sitting with them through all of this.

Once we finish with all of that, I select one of the boys to stay with me while the other goes on a plays.

7. We work through a little stack of Latin and Greek roots/affixes flashcards which I made up.  We talk about their meanings, I quiz them orally, they play memory and matching games with them, etc.  I ask them to tell me words they know that use these roots/affixes.  This takes about 5-10 minutes each.

8. We then work through a chapter of Rod & Staff English.  I do much of this orally with them and only require writing the answers when diagramming is required.  They have plenty of practice writing sentences in their writing activities and in their Daily Grams.  This takes about 10-15 minutes.

9.  I then teach the math lesson.  Nathan goes off to do his own work in his bedroom; I sit with Ben and write out the problems for him sometimes.  He has transitioned from the Saxon workbook format to the hardcover textbook, and he is still a little frustrated by so much writing.  He is, however, very careful in math and does a great job.  I then check the work and have them do corrections with me.  I check Ben's as he goes along.

I repeat these three subjects with my other son while the former gets a break.

After lunch, we all sit on the couch for reading time.  At this time, I read:

a Bible story
science
history

We also do our artist or composer study at this time.  I will describe more about our artist study so far in a separate post.

Wednesdays are piano lesson day, so we cut out several subjects (see the aforementioned chart for details). Thursday, we resume our busy schedule.

My meal plan has been helping tremendously. After dinner, I collect the trash, run the dishwasher, and vacuum. Once the boys are ready for bed, I start the laundry from the day.

Right before bedtime, I read some poetry and some of our current read aloud.  We just finished Little House in the Big Woods.  Tomorrow, we shall return to A Nest for Celeste (a chapter book about the life and art of James Audubon).  They are then allowed to stay up in their room reading until anywhere between 9:00 and 10:00.

Then I collapse. :)

No comments: