5.19.2010

I've got the lesson-planning bug!

Over the next few weeks, I plan to share various websites and resources I have found for our homeschooling.  We are reading through Story of the World, Volume 3, and we are studying the early New World settlements.  I love studying this time period in history -- I think because there are so many fabulous resources available for children.  I really wish picture book and chapter book authors would expand their palate and write more pertaining to world history outside of the Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and Ancient American empires.  I'd love to see more Asian literature beyond Samurai and more African literature beyond folktales.

Back to our current studies.  After reading Chapter 3 from SOTW, I read aloud Jamestown, New World Adventure (Adventures in Colonial America) and The Lucky Sovereign by Stewart Lees. We then read The Double Life of Pocahontas by Jean Fritz.  We actually listened to a free audio download offered by our public library, and the narrator was fantastic. We all enjoyed this book very much.

We are currently reading A Lion to Guard Us by Clyde Robert Bulla. We are enjoying the story line, but I'm having a difficult time getting used to the short, choppy sentences.

The boys also watched a Schlessinger Media film titled Colonial Life for Children: Jamestown. Check your local library. You can download a Teacher's Guide for it here.

No comments: