9.05.2009

Back to School

We started our formal studies this Monday (August 31). There's something so refreshing about starting on a Monday and at the beginning of the month, at that. (Now, if only the Monday were also September 1. hee hee)

It has been an exhausting but wonderful week -- one that makes me very thankful that today is Saturday but also full of anticipation for next week. :)

I am still learning how to accomplish everything in a day. A meal plan is going to be a requirement for me, and I must finish stocking my pantry so that I have plenty on hand. I think that will be happening today.

These are the basics that both Nathan and Ben do daily:

  • math (Saxon)
  • Building Christian English Series (Rod and Staff; for grammar, not writing)
  • Daily Grams (Easy Grammar company)
  • Writing with Ease (Peacehill Press)
  • Everyday Spelling (Scott Foresman)
  • Character Italics: Building Character through Handwriting (for handwriting and copywork)
  • poetry memorization
  • The boys also read aloud each day with simple biographies, history or science, or literature/readers.

We are also studying the following right now:

  • mammals
  • Story of the World, Volume 2 (exploration and Conquistadors)
  • Beethoven (composer study)
  • Van Gogh (artist study)
  • hands-on art
  • piano
  • poetry
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (our read-aloud -- I downloaded the audio last night because the narrator's voice is far better than mine)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Good luck with the school year! I am sure it will go great