5.28.2009

I wanted to share a favorite recipe here

My family just loves this.

Quick-cook one cup black beans (this will yield more than one cup. I just boil, simmer and wait until done.) (dry is cheaper than canned, but canned would work.)

1 large jar generic picante sauce

1 small bag frozen corn (I found it for 78 cents at Kroger)

1 onion (I run mine through food processor)

about 1 pound cooked ground beef (I buy mine in bulk, cook it all at once, freeze in approx. 1 pound ziploc bags for quick meals). You could of course omit the beef for vegetarian.

any canned diced tomatoes you have. (I freeze whatever I don't use from one meal, so I usually have some in my freezer to use)

you can also add any chopped peppers (I freeze any we don't eat in time. This makes them easy to chop.)

salt, garlic or garlic powder, cumin, chili powder. I just add to taste.

Bake in 350 degree oven.

*****************************

Cook rice. You can serve this mixture on top of the rice. It fills one up at a good price.

*****************************

Tortilla chips. We love scooping up the mixture with tortilla chips. You can add leftover bits at the bottom of the bag to the oven mixture to make it go farther. (We buy these very large bags of healthy ones for much less than the regular brand tortilla chips at BJs Wholesale).

*****************************

I serve all with the following toppings. These are not required -- you can just use whatever you have on hand.

sour cream

guacamole (I mash together with a fork: 1 avocado, 2 tbsp. salsa, dash salt, 2 tsp. lemon juice)

chopped Romaine

chopped tomato

shredded cheese

******************************

This was enough for two dinners for our family of five. Tonight, I just heated the rice in a dish (I added a little water) and the beef/bean/corn mixture in another dish at 300 degrees until warm.

1 comment:

Val in the Rose Garden said...

That sounds amazing! I have a similar recipe in my Mexican Comfort Food recipe... and we had it last night. I love how good for you these types of recipes are. There is a lot of food in the food this way. ;)

Val